Swimming Pool Safety for pool operators
Better Business For All (BBfA) have created this resource to help businesses who operate swimming pools in the tourism, leisure and hospitality sector to go through the steps required to make their pool environment safe for customers and also for staff maintaining the pool. The project was funded by The Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
- Pool Safety Guide (PDF)
- Appendix 1 Swimming Pool Risk Assessment (docx)
- Appendix 2 Normal Operating Plan Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 3 Emergency Action Plan Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 4 Play Equipment and Swimming Pool Slides – Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 5 Diving Boards & Diving – Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 6 Daily Checklist (docx)
- Appendix 7: Swimming Pool Disinfection – Recommended Levels (PDF)
- Appendix 8 Swimming Pool Log Sheet (docx)
- Appendix 9: Do You Require Poolside Supervision? (PDF)
- Appendix 10 Pool Hire Agreement (docx)
An industry professional Paul Sharples, worked with Heart of the South West LEP to develop the 6 webinar sessions. These take you through the following core elements.
It is recommended initially that all films are viewed as a complete set, by all pool operatives so they are aware of what must be done to ensure your pool is compliant with the Law and best practice regarding pool safety. Key films can then be revisited as and when a pool manager feels it is helpful to remind staff of their responsibilities. You may also wish to share these training films with any businesses that hire the pool, to ensure they are also aware of these key elements to safe pool operating.
All 6 films are relatively short (under 10 minutes each), hence should take no longer than 1 hour to complete collectively. Subtitles can be switched on if required, using the “CC” button in the video player.
- What the law requires / key legislation
- The pool environment
- Safe use and supervision
- The plant room
- Managing pool water quality
- Pool Safety Operating Procedures
Additional resources on swimming pool safety: